Thursday, May 26, 2011

Baby Sister's Been Sick

Baby Sister is a cuddly baby. She wants to be held. She wants to be held a lot. Okay, she wants to be held all the time. In her mother's words, "Great for Grams. Not so great for Mom."

Two weekends ago Grams had the opportunity to hold Baby Sister a lot ... pretty much all weekend. While we were setting up for the tea party, Katy said, "If you'll keep an eye on the kids, I'll finish setting everything up." That was good enough for me.

The bottom line is that, unless she's asleep, she wants to be held. If you put her down, she starts to cry fairly quickly.  This picture was sent via picture mail and was captioned "woe is me." I'm pretty sure she started crying right after this.

One of the great things about the tea party was that everyone took turns holding her. She was happy as could be and so was everyone else. Who doesn't like to hold a little baby?



That was two weeks ago. Then last weekend Baby Sister got sick. She had one eye that seemed a little runny and irritated. Katy thought it was probably allergies. Then that night she started running a fever. Katy ended up in the emergency room while Travis stayed at home with Our Little Princess. Two days later, she was still running a fever. They went back to the pediatrician for a follow-up appointment. He sent them back to the emergency room. He was concerned that her fever was not responding to treatment so he ordered a spinal tap. Initial results were clear, although they're culturing it to be sure nothing is growing. They gave her a precautionary dose of antibiotics before they sent them home.

She was much better the next day and I received this via picture mail. Her mom captioned it "happy baby."


They're off to Oklahoma for a family wedding this weekend. We're all so relieved that she's feeling better. She's only six weeks old. That's pretty little to have already been to the ER twice.

On the subject of Baby Sister, I'm not really content with that nickname. It hardly measures up to "Our Little Princess." So, I'm open for suggestions. Any ideas for a new moniker? Or maybe I should just wait and see who she turns out to be.

6 comments:

  1. Poor baby. She sounds like my little Pixie, who is 11 weeks old, but she's a preemie and so has a thing about being held due to that. Its always sad when their sick. I'm new to your blog and look forward to getting to know you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always joked that if everyone could hold a baby for 10 minutes each day the world would be a happier place. There's just something about snuggling an infant . . . however, to have to hold one 24/7 would be a lot! Just keep reminding yourself that someday she'll be a teenager and won't even want to give you a hug ; )

    When my twins were only 3 months old, we attended a family reunion, and the babies got passed around and held constantly for about 4 days. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute! I love holding babies. It keeps me centered. When my 4th was 4 weeks old, she had a fever that wouldn't go away and had no other symptoms. She was put in the hospital for 3 days and had to have a spinal tap. NOT FUN!
    You'll come up with a moniker for that sweet little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmas are heaven sent! My DD love my mom a lot because she spoils her! LOL - Your grandbaby is quite cute. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little girl. I hope she's doing better ... and STAYS better. I would love to have a little girl to hold, or even a little BOY to hold. Grandson No. 2 is due any day, but I won't see him til June 19, regardless of when he arrives.

    As far as names, I know what you mean about not like a chosen blog name. They're hard to come up with for the second. What are the names of the ladies in waiting or whatever it is that accompany a princess? Maybe something along those lines. Maybe your Little Duchess? Is that nearly the same as a princess?? Then when you have a boy grandbaby, he'll be your Little Prince. ??? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete