Monday, January 3, 2011

Grams Made Greek Chicken & Orzo Soup

It's Monday evening and we're at our son's house in Houston waiting for Grandad's pre-operative testing tomorrow. We have to be at the Texas Heart Institute at 9 a.m.

Nick returned from a week in Canada with his wife Marie where they snowboarded and rang in the new year. He's feeling a little under the weather so I cooked up a big pot of Greek Chicken & Orzo Soup. This is one of my favorite recipes. The first time I had it, Katy made it for us. It's thickened with eggs instead of corn starch or flour, so it's high in protein and low in carbohydrates.

8 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup of orzo
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Salt and white pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

Roast chicken breasts in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until done. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces.

In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and add orzo and parsley.  Cook uncovered about 15 minutes until orzo is done. Five minutes before pasta is done, add chicken.

Place eggs in mixing bowl. Whisk eggs while adding lemon juice. Whisking constantly, slowly pour a ladle of the hot stock into the egg mixture to temper.

Reduce heat to very low. Then, while whisking the soup in pan, slowly pour in the egg mixture. Soup should thicken slightly. Add salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.

Serve with crusty bread.

6 comments:

  1. I will have to try this. I am on the look for new and simple recipes. We have a resolution to try new recipes and cut our eating out this year, so I am looking for new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for good results today. Thank you for the recipe! I was just wondering what to make for dinner as I need to grocery shop tomorrow, but I have ALL this on hand and plan to make it! Yum! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummmm - sounds so very good! Hoping things went well today for your family. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm!! Perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki,
    I hope your husband's ablation went well and he's recuperating well. My husband has had 2 ablations. The second time was 4 years ago. He's doing very well, even plays basketball 3 times a week with guys over half his age!
    The soup sounds yummy. I will try it!

    Best wishes to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete