Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Where (and How) the Magic Happens

Fellow blogger Laurin Evans is asking bloggers to dedicate a post today to how we do what we do. I signed up for this one-time meme so here goes. Oh, yeah, I was supposed to post it this morning. But at 6 a.m. I got a call to substitute today so I worked at my real job instead of my fun one.

I'll just start by saying that for Grams, blogging is not work. It's something I do because I enjoy it. When I'm working, I'm substitute teaching, and they actually pay me. I would love to blog for a living, but I don't have enough of a following to make money at it. And, I'm okay with that, for now.

Our Little Princess on a rainy day.
I blog from my life experience. My blog would have to be considered somewhat unfocused in that I don't write about one particular topic or area of expertise. I'm just writing about whatever is on my mind on a particular day or whatever inspires me. I share advice, opinions, recipes, craft projects, and a lot of pictures of my gorgeous grand-daughter, Our Little Princess. (Laurin encouraged bloggers to include photos of their pets, and since we don't have pets, here's a picture of Our Little Princess instead.) Occasionally I rant about one topic or another. It depends on what's upsetting me at the time.

For inspiration, I keep a simple, running list of ideas for blogs so I don't lose them or forget them. When an idea pops into my mind, if I'm not at home, I send myself an email from my cell phone so I won't forget to add it to the list when I get home. I have gotten into the habit of carrying my camera with me almost everywhere I go. Sometimes a photo is the best inspiration and all the reminder I need.

That's the back of my head,so you can see my view.
I write and publish this blog using an old Dell Latitude laptop that Grandad snagged from a business that was putting it out to pasture. I work in my living room while sitting on my sofa in front of the television. I often have my feet propped on the coffee table. Here's the view from where I sit. And, yes, the television is always on.

This is my view if Grandad is home.
I write at my own convenience, in between all my daily tasks. If it's Monday, I'm writing between loads of laundry. While I'm writing, I'm trying to decide what to make for dinner, reading emails, talking to my kids or my sisters on the phone, Facebooking, snacking, texting, watching television or movies ... you get the idea. I'm not very focused. Distractions don't bother me. Remember, I'm already sitting in front of the television. When I do get distracted, I just go back and read what I've written so far and I can usually just go right back to it.

I always have a drink of some sort on the end table right next to me.  In the mornings it's coffee, afternoons and evenings it's water, iced tea, or Crystal Light Lemonade. In the evenings, it might be a glass of wine.

So that's it. That's how I blog and where I blog. The only thing I would change if I could is I would like a shiny, new laptop with a wider screen. Maybe Santa will bring me one ... a girl can dream can't she?