Saturday, September 18, 2010

Grams Made Pumpkin & Sausage Soup

Grams woke to a rainy day and rain-cooled temperatures in the seventies this morning. It feels a little like autumn has arrived. I know that I'm only dreaming. The cooler weather is only the result of the overcast skies. As soon as the sun comes out it'll be back in the nineties. But this respite from the heat motivated me to make soup.

This is a low-carb pumpkin and sausage soup recipe. Warning: low carb does not mean low fat! I've had this recipe a couple of years and, I'm sorry, I don't remember where I got it. I've altered it a little. The original called for five cups of chicken broth, but I reduced it to two because I like the soup thicker.

16 ounces country-style breakfast sausage
½ cup onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
15 ounces pumpkin, canned
1 can low sodium chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup sour cream
½ cup water

Over medium heat brown the sausage breaking into small bits. Drain fat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables are cooked.

Add the canned pumpkin and the broth, stirring to mix well. Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, sour cream and water.

Servings: 8

Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 376 calories. 15 grams protein, 32 grams fat (14 saturated) and 9 grams carbohydrate (2 grams dietary fiber).