Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blackberries and Breakfast

My Granny is on my mind this week.  It's because we're having our first-ever Skelton Family Reunion this weekend.  I am looking forward to seeing all my cousins whom I haven't seen in more than 30 years.  More on that next week.

Since Granny is already on my mind, many things are reminding me of her and the magical childhood days we spent at her little house out in the piney woods of Bryans Mill, Texas. 

We never "slept in" at Granny's house.  As children we had too much to do; we had to get up early and get started.  We had to do important things like dig holes in the yard, have grape Kool-Aid tea parties,  walk around the mail route, take outdoor baths in No. 3 washtubs, walk to Scott's Store for a Yoo-Hoo or RC Cola, catch lightening bugs and count the stars.  We were very busy.

In my memory, the most special thing we did was walk down the road on warm spring mornings and pick fresh blackberries for breakfast.  Truth be told, we ate most of them before we got home.  But sitting at the kitchen table with a bowl of fresh blackberries and cream is one of my favorite memories. 

For breakfast this morning I had fresh blackberries with Greek yogurt.  They were the first blackberries I've had this year and I bought them at Wal-Mart instead of picking them.  It's not exactly the same, but they were delicious and brought back these happy memories.