Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Favorite Picture(s)

A couple of days ago, my friend and fellow blogger, the Yummy Mummy tagged Grams to post my favorite picture of all time. This has been a very tough choice for me. I've sifted through hundreds, if not thousands, of photos of my kids, my parents, my family. I've looked at photos of births, baptisms, Christmases, Independence Days, vacations, family reunions, and a plethora of other celebrations. I finally narrowed it down to just a few photos and I did ultimately choose one favorite.

This photo of my parents is among my favorites. It was taken on their wedding day. Mom was a war bride and just a short while later she would be expecting their first child while Dad would be in Europe fighting in the Battle of the Bulge. But they look happy and full of promise in this picture. The dress in the photo was a dark green, she kept it for many years. Notice that she wore socks on her wedding day. It always makes me smile.


I really like this photo of my children dancing together at Katy's wedding reception. It was very nearly my favorite of all. I love the way they are laughing and having a good time. When they were little and fought with each other a lot, my mother-in-law promised me that some day they would love each other. It didn't take as long as I thought and I can really see it in this picture.


Another favorite is this one of Katy and Travis right after their wedding. It was taken just outside the church after the ceremony. All the guests and the rest of the wedding party had already gone to the reception site. The photographer captured this shot from a distance and I don't think they were even aware that he was still shooting. What I see in this moment is how tenderly Travis is holding Katy and the joy in the way she has opened her arms to him.


I also must include this photo from Nick and Marie's wedding among my favorites. Clearly the photographer told him to look serious. Something that is completely foreign to Nick, so much so that it made Marie laugh out loud. I think they look like models.


And then there is this photo of Grams at 2 years old. I think I was pretty darn cute and I've always loved this picture.


And, what kind of Grams would I be if I didn't have at least one picture of our little princess among my favorites? I especially love this one of Ezra and Katy which was taken last fall at her Aunt Catherine's wedding. By the way, Grams made the dress that the little princess is wearing.


But, if I have to narrow my choice to just one favorite, here it is. It's a snapshot of Katy and Nick when they were little. Katy is about 3 years old and is clutching her ever-present stuffed animals while looking completely and, I think a little smugly, innocent. Nick is about a year old and for some forgotten reason is crying hysterically. But I'm sure Katy had nothing to do with it. This photo cracks me up and I love it. It captures the moment so accurately.

Okay, so maybe I cheated a little by sharing more than one favorite. But to be fair, Grams is a lot older than Yum so I have a lot more to choose from.