Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grams Made Scrambled Eggs with Spinach

When I was a kid, my dad used to make scrambled eggs with spinach for Sunday night supper. I absolutely hated it. But I recently ate a delicious spinach souffle and it reminded me of Dad's dish. I looked around the internet and found a recipe which I have modified to make it similar to what Dad made. Don't be put off by the idea, this is terrific for brunch, dinner or a side dish.

12 ounce package baby spinach (or 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon half and half
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Coarsely chop the baby spinach leaves. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet and cook the onion until crisp tender. Stir in garlic when onions are almost done. Add the chopped spinach and cook, stirring often, until spinach is tender, about 5-7 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat half and half with eggs, salt, pepper, and thyme. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and cook and stir so the eggs scramble with the spinach, about 4-5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.

To make this recipe as a main course, use 6-8 eggs and increase olive oil if needed.